Sunday, May 3, 2009

Flying the Beaver


We went out on a float plane today! We took the Beaver (that's the model of the plane) to Karluk Lake where Fish & Wildlife has a cabin. It took us about ~45mins each way, taking off from Trident Basin, which is on the other side of Near Island from town. I mapped out where we went on the map as best as I could. The black square is Karluk Lake.

I was sitting shotgun for the ride out and was pretty sure I was going to lose my cookies before we touched down in Karluk, but managed to hold on. On the way there, we took the coastal route, saw some whales and a couple Native villages (Port Lions and Larsen Bay) and it was a bit bumpy. I thought it was cool that we could see the mainland too! Going home was smooth sailing, we took the mountainous route over the "spine" of the island and saw some bear tracks in the snow, no bear though.

So, Kevin was our fearless leader- he's a native Alaskan who grew up flying with his dad in Fairbanks, now he flies for Fish&Wildlife. He happened to have open seats and Margo, Chad and I all had the day off, so we got to hitch a ride :)

The sun has been out all weekend with blue skies ta boot! Doesn't happen much around here I'm told, so I've been soaking it up.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like it was a great ride. i'm not sure what it would look like but i'll take a look at your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete